People love to discuss the health benefits of otherwise unhealthy stuff, such as alcoholic beverages. Wine is no different. Though there are health benefits to be had when drinking wine, which will be discussed below, it is also prudent to keep in mind that the ideal consumption is one to two 4 oz. glasses per day.
Now, let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of drinking wine.
- A study conducted by Finnish researchers found that people who drink wine have a 34% lower mortality rate than people who drink beer or other alcoholic beverages.
- Research conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health showed that people who consume wine on a moderate basis have 30% lower risk of heart attacks compared to those who don’t drink.
- A study published by London’s Queen Mary University showed that red wine contained procyanidins. The minerals protect the heart from heart disease.
- In Amsterdam, over at the VU University Medical Center, a study that involved more than 350,000 people found that those who drink wine moderately are 30% less likely to develop type 2 diabetes.
- In line with research done on the benefits of wine for the cardiovascular system, Columbia University discovered that drinking moderate amounts of alcohol can lower the risk of a stroke by half.
- Other health benefits of drinking wine are the lowered risk of developing cataracts and colon cancer, and the theoretical delay of the decline of brain function.